My favorite picture from Easter

My favorite picture from Easter
Bunnies aren't the only ones who drop eggs.

Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A woman's sense of self worth.

I don't have too many funny things to blog about today. Well, I mean, don't get me wrong. My whole life is humorous. From writing right now with mostly my left hand because I slammed the right one in the door at the vet's office to asking a homeless person for fifty cents so I could have enough money to pay the meter in the streets of Downtown Houston this morning so I could turn my assignment in. That was clearly a run on sentence but I consider myself a run on sentence so it suits this blog.

Rowan and Little G have been content at home with Amanda and Reese started camp today. So, I don't have too many good laughs to share with you about them. I think I have become immune to their weirdness so it isn't such a shocker to me when my daughter does things like spread Coco's legs and tell a complete stranger today at the vet's office "see, she is a girl."

There is this one subject lying on my mind lately and it is a woman's sense of self worth.
I have been a stay at home mom for the majority of the last 6 years. Yes, I became a broker and solely opened a real estate company while my kids were in Mother's Day Out, but I was there at 2pm to pick them up everyday. So, I can look back and say that, yes, being a mother is the most rewarding job I will ever have. But, as women we sometimes get lost in our children. We deserve something of our own. Google Faith Hill's "I Can't Do That Anymore."
I grew up in a family where we valued what God has given us. I do appreciate the fact that I can be a stay at home mother. I do appreciate that the good Lord has blessed me with three perfect human beings that I don't think I deserve. I do appreciate that I have a home. I have a decent SUV. But, I have sat in the corner and watched my husband become Mr. Successful. And even though I reached for the stars by opening my very own real estate business at 25 and in fact was successful at it, I still had two children at my feet Monday-Thursday after 2pm and all day Friday's. Between a marital separation and a big surprise pregnancy, I had to let my company go. But, what you aren't reading between the lines is that everything happens for a reason. I gained a sense of self worth when I owned Richardson Real Estate. But, God lead me down a different path. The numbers 714 lead me to The University of Houston and as odd as that may sound, I am proud to say that my great grandmother Lena is telling me to earn a degree and earn respect. Gain your sense of self worth again. So, here I am. Listening to my grandfather's mother whom I have never had the pleasure of meeting. Lena was a woman of great strength. She delivered and cared for her 10 children while grandfather George was in the fields working. She didn't have the opportunity to gain a sense of self worth. I do. I am not saying that every woman should seek a degree or they will never feel fulfilled. We all have our own needs and desires. We just have to attain the knowledge to seek it. The confidence we deserve.

So, ladies. Let's explore our opportunities and grasp what YOU want in life. Our children will not only benefit from our new found demand for respect but they will never forget that mom never let her aspirations go even when she was taking care of them. Find your inner superwoman, she is there.

4 comments:

  1. Don't say that you have the 3 best children and that you feel like you don't deserve. You do deserve all of the blessings in your life. You are one amazing woman and one of the strongest woman I have ever met. You always hold your head up high no matter what you're going through and always have Faith that there's a light at the end of the tunnel in hard times and you move forward towards that light and never give up. That to me is a strong person within and you deserve all that you have and your 3 beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, "I consider myself a run-on sentence" is beyond genius!!!! I expect that on my facebook wall tomorrow! Secondly, between you and me, "A college degree is a women's divorce insurance", and lastly, can you do a blog about your love for Dr. Pepper? Just sayin.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I feel completly opposite from you, maybe because I have lived my life opposite to yours. I partied in college, earned my degree, worked to the top of the company and then became a mother and all I want to do now is stay home with my babies but that is not an option. I am very proud of you going back to school but don't ever feel like you are not "something" or you have "no self worth" because you stayed home with you kiddos. I would do anything to have that! You can see your self worth in their little smiles every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet baby girl...your Momma went back to school with two kids at home and earned her bachelor's degree...and so will you! It is a tough road, I'm not going to pretend it's not...but if anyone can do it, you can! You are Lena and Brenda blended together...and we have the strength to conquer anything! You are the MOST deserving of any woman on this Earth to have three beautiful children. God has blessed you in so many ways. Gina and Carrie are so right...you do deserve all the blessings in life...and more! Thank you for giving your Dad and me the most precious gifts of all: Reese, Bear, and Rowan! I ♥ you!

    ReplyDelete